Saturday, September 24, 2011

Rolling Iceberg

THIS TED IS AMAAAAAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My dad has just introduced it to me.

これは、本当すごい、やばい!
This is seriously SICK!!!!!!

You must watch it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just spare your four minutes!!!!!!



Transcript

As an artist, connection is very important to me.Through my work I'm trying to articulate that humans are not separate from nature and that everything is interconnected. I first went to Antarctica almost 10 years ago, where I saw my first icebergs. I was in awe. My heart beat fast, my head was dizzy, trying to comprehend what it was that stood in front of me. The icebergs around mewere almost 200 ft. out of the water. And I could only help but wonder that this was one snowflakeon top of another snowflake, year after year.

Icebergs are born when they calve off of glaciers or break off of ice shelves. Each iceberg has its own individual personality. They have a distinct way of interacting with their environment and their experiences. Some refuse to give up and hold on to the bitter end, while others can't take it anymoreand crumble in a fit of dramatic passion.

It's easy to think, when you look at an iceberg, that they're isolated, that they're separate and alone,much like we as humans sometimes view ourselves. But the reality is far from it. As an iceberg melts, I am breathing in its ancient atmosphere. As the iceberg melts, it is releasing mineral-rich fresh water that nourishes many forms of life.

I approach photographing these icebergs as if I'm making portraits of my ancestors, knowing that in these individual moments they exist that way and will never exist that way again. It is not a death when they melt; it is not an end, but a continuationof their path through the cycle of life. Some of the ice in the icebergs that I photograph is very young --a couple thousand years old. And some of the iceis over 100,000 years old.

The last pictures I'd like to show you are of an iceberg that I photographed in Qeqetarsuaq, Greenland. It's a very rare occasion that you get to actually witness an iceberg rolling. So here it is.You can see on the left side a small boat. That's about a 15-ft. boat. And I'd like you to pay attentionto the shape of the iceberg and where it is at the waterline. You can see here, it begins to roll, and the boat has moved to the other side, and the man is standing there. This is an average size Greenlandic iceberg. It's about 120 ft. above the water, or 40 meters. And this video is real time.

(Music)

And just like that, the iceberg shows you a different side of its personality.

Thank you.

(Applause)

End of Transcript




Have you watched it!? Have you watched it!?
I really cannot believe what I have just witnessed in this video....

Mother nature is, JUST SOOOOOOO GREAT.



Speaking of "iceberg", there is one bar I want to visit badly.
It is beside Bondi Beach, in my favourite city of the world, Sydney, Australia.




I have never visited there because I was too small to dine in such a classy restaurant when I was living in Sydney.
Even though I was a little girl, well not too little, I was 13, anyways, I was pretty much attracted to the atmosphere and the style that Iceberg had.
Hope to visit there in future with someone I love....



Grateful days,

伶佳

No comments:

Post a Comment